Selling your Home

Selling your Home

Initial Questionnaires
In the first instance, we will send you various questionnaire forms for you to complete and return depending on whether the property is freehold or leasehold. These will ask you questions about boundaries, access to the property, what fixtures and fittings will form part of the sale etc, and it is, therefore, important these are answered accurately.

As a matter of urgency, we will need to be advised of the whereabouts of your deeds. If they are with a bank or building society, please notify us of the name, branch and any reference / mortgage account number. It is important you also notify us of all mortgages or loans secured on a property.

You should maintain sufficient buildings insurance upon your property until completion of the sale. If you insurance is provided by your lender, it will not be cancelled until your mortgage has been repaid following completion of the sale.

Meters and Charges
Please ensure that you arrange for any telephone, gas, electricity, water, council tax etc to be settled to the date of completion. You are also advised to take final meter readings before vacating the property.

Service Providers
Please make sure that services (such as gas, electricity, water) are connected upon completion and that they have been transferred into your name. You should also take meter readings for both your old and new property.

Prior to completion, you will need to make arrangements regarding handing keys over to the buyers. Most people leave them with the estate agent.

Forwarding Address
It is advisable to ask the post office to forward your mail to your new address for 3 – 6 months. We will also require details of your new address and telephone number.

For more information on buying, selling or letting a property, please contact our property team at Stafford on 01785 211411 or Rugeley on 01889 583871.

Published on web site – April 2007


The contents of this article are for the purposes of general awareness only. They do not purport to constitute legal or professional advice. The law may have changed since this article was published. Readers should not act on the basis of the information included and should take appropriate professional advice upon their own particular circumstances. (50587)